The Deputy Chief Election Commissioner
Election Commission of India
Sub: No 11, Dr.Radhakrishnan Nagar Constituency
Bye-Election 12th April 2017
We, on behalf of the CPI (M), bring to your kind notice about the activities of the certain political parties and the deficiency of the system to combat such acts.
This bye election is warranted by the demise of the then Chief Minister in December last year. After the death of the leader of AIAIDMK, it got split into various groups and they are contesting the election. Main opposition parties are also being in the fray a multi cornered election is happening there.
1) The AIADMK (Amma), AIADMK (Puratchi Thalaivi Amma), and DMK had brought in thousands of people from various places of the state. They have been provided with costly SUV type vehicles which were occupying all streets of the constituency. The Deputy CEC must immediately order evacuation of the vehicles which were brought inspecifically for their electoral advantage. In this connection, it may be recalled that during an earlier bye election at Gummidipoondy, the CEO Shri.Naresh Gupta banned all vehicles from outstation plying into the constituency.
2) The AIADMK (A) cadres who had been brought into the constituency are occupying many streets with table, chair and desks all around. Their vehicles are parked in all places. During the peak hours the students going for final examinations to schools/colleges find it extremely difficult to reach the centres in time. Traffic jam in railway crossings take much longer time to get cleared. All innocent citizens are put into extraordinary difficulties on account of this crowding out indulged by parties, especially AIADMK (A).
3) The Model Code of Conduct demands that all parties abide by the code, especially it points out that votes should not be canvassed on the basis of religious appeal; And using of temples, mosques, churches and other places of worship are explicitly banned for electoral campaign. But in Ward 41, the AIADMK (A) candidate Shri.TTV Dinakaran’s supporters are occupying a temple premises (Ward 41, Booth No 223 at Periyar Salai) fully and using the nearby corporation school for doing their electoral work. Our objections to local authorities were not taken notice of hitherto.
4) Novel methods are envisaged for distribution of money. We have been told that those who were issued with money tokens are requested to go out of the constituency, say for example Perambur, and asked to collect money in exchange of tokens. We request that the flying squad should be authorized to confiscate monies and file cases immediately against such perpetrators.
5) The Ministers of the ruling party (AIADMK-A) are present in the constituency and order the lower level officials to abide by their commands. Such misuse of official machinery results in disturbing the level playing field for all contestants.
In view of the previous experience of bye elections in the state we request you to immediately act to remedy the situation.We further seek upon the Deputy CEO to ensure free and fair elections are held here.
With warm regards,
Tamilnadu State Committee